Movie Review: Carrie

High School is full of bitchy girls, it’s just a fact of life. 99% of girls will come into contact with a total bitch, and the other 1% will be the queen bitch. Unfortunately, some girls are more prone to bullying than others. Girls like Carrie White (Chloe Grace Moretz). Carrie has been raised by a single, fanatically religious mother (Julianne Moore). Carrie has been so sheltered that she made it to seventeen without finding out what menstruation is. And this is here the film begins: Carrie in a high school locker room, screaming that she’s dying while girls throw pads and tampons at her. Being 2013, of course it’s filmed and before the end of the day everyone has seen the horrible video.

Picture courtesy of Sony Pictures

Picture courtesy of Sony Pictures

But then popular girl Sue Snell (Gabriella Wilde) decides to help Carrie, and convinces her boyfriend Tommy Ross (Ansel Elgort) to ask Carrie to prom. Her best friend, Chris Hargensen (Portia Doubleday) does not approve, and her refusal to apologise leaves her kicked out of the prom by kind gym teacher (Judy Greer). Chris doesn’t want to take no for an answer, and begins planning Carrie’s ultimate humiliation.

At the same time, Carrie is discovering that she has telekinetic powers, and  realises she can use them to protect herself from her mother, and from her cruel classmates.

And then suddenly, it’s prom night, and nothing will ever be the same.

Picture courtesy of Sony Pictures

Picture courtesy of Sony Pictures

The first three quarters of the film are an excellent look at bullying, outcasts, and what a little bit of kindness can do. I was almost disappointed when I remembered how the movie ended while watching, as it really was an enjoyable teen movie. Of course, it then it becomes the insane story we all know and love.

Some scenes with her mother were quite graphic, especially in regards to showing self harm. The last part of the movie is over quite quickly, and seems almost rushed after the long build up to prom night. I’ve never seen the original, and so was surprised by how little screen time the famous scene is actually given. But despite it’s short length, it was extremely effective and left me hiding my eyes and audibly gasping.

Picture courtesy of Sony Pictures

Picture courtesy of Sony Pictures

Chloe Grace Moretz is an excellent Carrie, bringing the pain and humiliation to life in a brilliant way. Julianne Moore is also perfect in her role, representing the ultimate insanity that comes from past hurts.

While it’s not a movie for the faint of heart, I would definitely recommend it to anybody looking for something a little different to see, and for anyone who needs reminding as to why you should be kind to everyone.

Carrie is in Australian cinemas from today, Thursday 28th November, via Sony Pictures

Rating: 3.5/5

frangipani princess xoxo

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s